KINDERGARTEN – 12TH GRADE EDUCATION
3RD GRADE LITERACY
OVERVIEW APRIL 2016
DeKalb County students attain outstanding performance as measured by academic, vocational, and civic achievement.
What we’ll accomplish
- Increase the percentage of 3rd grade students reading at a 3rd grade reading level.
- Increase the percentage of students scoring at the 50th percentile or higher on the mid-winter NWEA (Northwest Evaluation Association) assessment.
Data we’re using to measure progress
- Percentage of 3rd grade students reading at grade level as measured by the I-READ 3.
- Effective January 2014, collecting mid-winter NWEA data as a second data point.
Baseline Spring 2012: 85% (I-READ 3)
|2012||80%||85% (I-READ 3)|
|2013||86%||94% (I-READ 3)|
|2014||—||97.1% (I-READ 3, public schools)
97.4% (I-READ 3, public and private schools)
|2015||97%||97.9% (I-READ 3, public and private schools)|
Source: Indiana Department of Education.
- 97.9% of DeKalb County 3rd grade students passed the state’s 3rd grade reading assessment in 2015, compared to 97.1% in 2014.
- There was concern that relying only on I-READ3 would not give the community the most accurate picture. Thus, the team began collecting NWEA (Northwest Evaluation Association) data as a second data point. Ideally, a third data point will be added.
What we’re doing to achieve our goals
- Along with working to ensure children have access to quality early learning opportunities, the team is focused on reducing the loss of literacy skills that occurs over the summer months.
- Planning a summer literacy effort in conjunction with the federal summer lunch programs in the DeKalb Central and Garrett school districts.
- Seeking weekly reading volunteers and new and gently used books appropriate for children, ages 5-8 years old. Call Judy for more information, 260-925-0311.