DeKalb County adults participating in continual learning to improve themselves, their families and their community.
What we’ll accomplish
Increase the number of DeKalb County adults participating in continuous learning opportunities to enhance basic and occupational skills.
Data we’re using to measure progress
- American Community Survey educational attainment data
- Four County Vocational Cooperative data
The northeast Indiana region’s 21st Century Talent (a pillar of Vision 2020) team’s goal is increasing the percentage of northeast Indiana workers with high quality degrees and credentials to 60% by 2025.
- As of 2009, the percentage of the Northeast Indiana workforce with a 2-or 4-year degree was just 31.5% compared to 28.3% for DeKalb County residents.
- By 2018, 60% of jobs in the U.S. will require some post-secondary education according to a 2011 analysis by Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce.
- Over a lifetime, the average individual with a four-year degree will earn $1.6 million more than a high school graduate.
- Of 25-34 year olds in 2010, U.S. educational attainment ranked 10th of 34 member countries; of 25-34 year olds in 2011, U.S. educational attainment ranked 15th. Of 55-64 year olds, U.S. educational attainment is the highest in the world (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, 2011).
- 75% of the job loss from the recession in Indiana is permanent; middle skill and middle income jobs have disappeared (DeWayne Matthews, Lumina Foundation, 2011).
- Need exists to publicize learning opportunities available for DeKalb County’s adults and address barriers, including transportation and childcare.
What we’re doing to achieve our goals
- Maintaining a handout including hyperlinks for current Adult Basic Education/GED/Adult Secondary Credit classes, times and locations provided by Four County Vocational Cooperative in DeKalb County; posted to www.DeKalbLearningLink.org.
- Developed a poster, “Improve Yourself Improve Your Skills”, to distribute for break rooms in business and industry and community bulletin boards.