All children in DeKalb County enter Kindergarten ready to learn as assessed by a shared definition of “readiness”.
What we’ll accomplish
90% of Kindergarten students will enter school at the benchmark “ready” for every class in every school in DeKalb County within a five-year period.
Data we’re using to measure progress
The percent of entering kindergarten students screened as “ready” based on a common definition of kindergarten readiness shared countywide.
Baseline 2011: 38%
- 2012: 50%
- 2013: 75%
- 2015: 90%
- Revised the 2010 kindergarten readiness screening to gather additional information.
- 426 entering kindergarten students countywide were screened for “readiness” based on a common
- 38% of DeKalb County kindergarten students were screened as “ready” in all three domains: social, language and academic skills.
What we’re doing to achieve our goals
- 43 entering kindergarten students enrolled in KiPS, a summer “kindergarten prep school,” implemented in 2011 by Butler Public Library in partnership with DeKalb Eastern school district.
- Distributing a parent-friendly brochure, “Let’s Get Ready for Kindergarten,” describing skills basic to a child’s success starting school.
- Creating awareness around the contribution of high quality early care and learning programs to a child’s readiness for school.