KINDERGARTEN – 12TH GRADE EDUCATION
SCHOOL – BUSINESS PARTNERSHIPS
WORKING WITH DEKALB CHAMBER PARTNERSHIP
OVERVIEW OCTOBER 2013
in DeKalb County Schools
|Oct. 2011||Oct. 2012||Oct. 2013|
|Cadet teaching/ peer tutoring||107||27||199|
|Special education internships||6||1||2|
|Health Occupation Education (HOE)||18||23||29|
|Project Lead the Way Engineering||233||153||206|
|Project Lead the Way Biomedical Sciences||18||29||7|
|Graphic Media Design||50||52||270|
|Total student participation||779||597||1031|
DeKalb County students attain outstanding performance as measured by academic, vocational, and civic achievement.
What we’ll accomplish
Increase the number of students prepared for work, post-secondary learning and career achievement.
Data we’re using to measure progress
- Types of partnerships* between business and community organizations and schools.
*Experiential learning, guest speakers, project-based learning, project evaluators, facility/business tours, externships, teacher-business Meet & Greets, HOPE school-based mentors, CEO Day
- Number of connections made between teachers and community leaders through Guest Speaker List.
- Number of 9th – 12th grade students participating in experiential learning through DeKalb County schools.
Connections made between teachers and guest speakers:
- DeKalb New Tech welcomed 70 new freshmen to the program that are joining a group of 80 returning sophomores.
- Organizing a DeKalb County Open House at Impact Institute (Four-County Vocational Cooperative) October 30. If interested, call Judy, 925-0311.
- Piloting CEO Day in February 2014, and teacher-business Meet & Greets with DeKalb Central.
- Maintaining a searchable database including 130 guest speakers as a tool for teachers to invite community leaders into classrooms. Posted at www.DeKalbLearningLink.org.
- DeKalb High School has matched 6 students 1:1 with 6 HOPE mentors to focus on career development.
What we’re doing to achieve our goals
- The community speakers database is being promoted for use by new DeKalb County middle and high school teachers.
- An updated instructional video for use of the Guest Speaker List by teachers is under development.